DISCIPLINARY RULES FOR THE PROSPECTIVE APOLOGISTS
THE PROSPECTIVE SCHOLAR MUST KNOW OR HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
1.Virtue of politeness, ‘fear and trembling’ love for souls and prayerfulness.1Pe 3:15
2. Self motivation
3. Character of Christ
2. That knowledge is good but ignorance is evil.
3 That all philosophical wisdom and spiritual wisdom or scientific wisdom are embodied in Christ Jesus. Col 2:2-3. And that all truth is God’s truth.
4. That the Bible has a dominant political motif, politics is spiritual and that Christianity is also political.
5 . That we are here to bring the Kingdom of Heaven down here on earth. Dan 2:21, 44, 4:17, Matt 3:2, 4:17, 7:10, Rev 1’5,11:15
6. Know and practice 4 basic apologetics phases which are:
(i) Assertion. (Declare, Inform, state, posit, make a proposition,) Eg. Acts
: 4:12, Rm 3:23, Jn3:3, Jn 3:16-18, 8:24, Jn 10:10, 14:6
(II) Explanation Matt 22:24-32 , 22:42-45
(iii) Defense Lk 11: 15-26
(iv) Deconstruction. (2Cor 10:3-5) Lk 11: 29:52 (remember rebuttal and undercutting defeaters: Rebuttal defeaters attack the proposition, undercutting defeaters attack the reason for believing that proposition )
7. Socratic Questioning =. A deliberate systematic way of questioning, targeting specific ends or goals.
Questioning for clarity which could also involve in questioning to identify or remove ambiguity, contradictions, inconsistencies and incoherence
Questioning to identify presuppositions,
Questioning to identify biases, motives.
Questioning for truth. - Epistemic justification
8. Know the essential Christian doctrine
9. Basics of logic. Laws of logic, syllogism
10. Basics in Epistemology
11. Basics in Hermeneutics
12. Must not let the sun go down on that new word or concept without looking it up.